Wednesday 17 January 2007

My life online, not an online life

After a very short trial period, I decided not to continue using Yahoo 360º for my personal page and blog (I just made a couple of blog entries, including my new year's intentions for 2007). However, I found it too oriented for "online grupies", that is, people that has an online social life and wants to use the web to keep in touch with their friends and family and even know new people or belong to a community.

I, on the contrary, am more the kind of people that wants to use the web to help me in my real life, which is to a great extend, offline (even when lately I have starting to consume a lot of online entretainment). I basically want to keep all the information I produce and consume, properly organized and accessible at any time, from everywhere. I want also to share some parts of it with other people, but rearely with a community.

Therefore, what I need is a virtual space (I would not say a worl space because i also would like to put some entretainment there) to gather different content and make its access easy. It would be nice if such space were located in one sigle web site, but this seams impossible now. Let's see what Blake Ross finally does with its Parakey project, which promesses to help all of us to keep our content on the way in a easy way . . . not much detail, should I say.

Until then, I will need a painfully long list of applications:
- a personal web page (google's personal page looks awfull. I haven't found one flexible enough)
- a blog (I thing blogger is ok)
- photos (now using yahoo photos, but I'l try Goggle's picassa)
- a PIM with notes, and todo lists (not sure, maybe stikkit, which combine both, but also a mix of posticky and remember the milk)
- online storage

Assemble all this pieces promisses to be a hard work to do.

No comments: