Thursday 29 March 2007

The google generation

Rising a child is a fascinating, mind blowing experience. For me, one of the biggest sources of wonders with children is to see how they discover and interact with technology while they rise in a highly technified environment. Contrary to us, who "discovered" technology in a later stage of life and had to incorporate it into our perception of the world, for them technology is a integral part of the world. For them, technology is undifferentiated from nature or culture.

For instance, my four year old son has risen surfing the web with me looking for such valuable items as Peter Pan's pictures or videos of trains. A couple of days ago, he saw me opening the browser and as soon as he identified google's main page, he told me "daddy, type 'videos of trains' in there . . . I want to see some train videos". For him, this is how things work: you type what you want in the google's search page and you get it. No wonder, no mystery. Is the way it has always been for him and the rest of the Google generation. This is the world he will live in.

No comments: