Wednesday 9 May 2007

Web sites to take

I have just came across Raccoon, a mobile web server that can be used to expose to the web the functionalities of a Symbian S60 based mobile device (like my Nokia N70).

Putting a web server into my phone sounded at first glance as either the more stupid or the geekiest think to do with a phone.

But as Just a Traveler said on onee one of his interesting blog entries: "you can now create Apache modules to access all the phone’s resources, use mod_python along with Python for S60 to create dynamic web pages ... and the possibilities are endless!". (thanks Just a Traveler for pointing me into this direction).

I could then create a nice web based user interface to make appointments or enter contacts directly to the phone from my desktop using a browser. Man, I just can't wait to start working on this. I can fell the geekness becoming stronger in me!

I could also publish the latest photos I just took one minute ago with my phone without uploading them to my Yahoo Photos site, provided that I have enought bandwith from my phone to the internet.

Raccoon's web site has an interesting reflection about the consequences of this technology:
We believe that being able to run a globally accessible personal
website on your mobile phone has the potential of changing the
Internet landscape. If every mobile phone or even every smart phone
initially, is equipped with a web server then very quickly most
websites will reside on mobile phones. That is bound to have some
impact not only on how mobile phones are perceived but also on how
the web evolves."

Suppose now that instead of just putting some web pages to access the phone I put web services in there? Then, I could make any other web service capable device to talk to my phone. Ans hey, my phone can also make this trick and talk to other devices using web services. I could make them cooperate and create a sort of personal area grid!

"possibilities are endless!" Sure they are.

No comments: